Valid question right? Good Recruiters… really good recruiters are a rare specimen indeed. They possess a unique skill set that differentiates them from others in the industry… and makes them more valuable than Valerian Steel…
So what are the traits and skills that define a Good Recruiter?
- Consistent Billings – Yes it’s important… Bloody important! If you are not billing, you are not a good recruiter… and if you’re not doing it consistently… you’re not doing it right!
- Resilience – Recruitment is really, really difficult. You are dealing with emotion vs. commerce everyday of your life. You are working with the most unreliable product in the world and some of the most difficult clients. If you don’t have resilience you’ll last about as long as Chuck Cunningham in Happy Days.
- People Person – Are you a people person? Do you like spending your days, nights, weekends and holidays talking to people? If you don’t you are in the wrong gig! Recruitment is all about people. And people who have very different needs and motivations. To be a good recruiter you need to be part counsellor, part psychiatrist, part salesman… or woman, part friend, part businessman… or woman, part magician, and part showman… or woman. But whatever else… you simply must be a people person.
- Energy – If you don’t have energy and passion in recruitment… you have nothing. Being a good recruiter doesn’t mean sitting behind a desk all day doing Sweet FA! No my friends… you are the master of managing and making the most out of every minute of every day. Your daily to do list will change constantly… you will be juggling the competing needs of your candidates, clients and manager all the time. Energy, topped up with coffee, berocca and red bull is a must and it is important to recharge whenever you get the opportunity.
- EI – A high level of Emotional Intelligence is key to success as a recruiter. Think about it… If you can’t empathise… if you can’t recognise motivators and if you can’t build relationships based on understanding, how in the hell are you going to be a Good Recruiter? Ummmmm…. You can’t…
- Moral Compass – It may shock you to realise (especially those of you from outside the industry), that you cannot be a Good Recruiter without a very strong moral compass. I refuse to believe that recruitment is a transactional venture. The truly successful recruiters and recruitment companies… the ones with consistency and longevity… do the right thing by clients and candidates. That means building relationships and understanding. That means truly consulting… it means finding the right home for your candidates and the right employees for your clients. It doesn’t mean rolling over in a master/servant type set up. It means being honest.
Recruitment business owners… do your consultants have consistent billings, resilience, energy, emotional intelligence, a strong moral compass and are people people? If not train them… develop them… or move them on.
I’d love to hear from you about traits I may have left out? What do you think makes a good recruiter?