We’re an oft maligned bunch right… usually unfairly. I mean the stuff people say about us – mainly by job seekers – is inaccurate, insulting and sometimes bordering on defamatory. We are not the hideous monsters they make us out to be… the blood-sucking leeches who would sacrifice their grandmother for a placement. That’s not us… right?
Below is a list of things I have come across in the past 6 months. And if you want to be truly respected as a professional… have longevity in your career… and most importantly be a good person get them out of your recruitment repertoire… and do it today.
- Placing fake job ads – I honestly thought this was a throwback to the 90’s. And yet a recruitment consultant only last week told me that it was common practice at their agency. I get it. I understand that we all need to drive candidates. But… firstly… this practice is illegal… well if it’s not illegal it should be… secondly if you’re lying this early in the recruitment process you are a knob… and lastly when that karma bus hits you… it is going to hurt.
- Bullying a Candidate – Why? So you can get your pissy little placement across the line? You are coercing a job seeker into a role they don’t want. How many times does that work out for you long term? They will inevitably leave within the guarantee period… your candidate will hate you for it and your client will blame you for it… well played Einstein.
- Poaching from your clients – No mater how clever you think you are it won’t work… and it shouldn’t work because it is dishonest. It’s like stealing from your parents. It’s wrong. Make a decision… and make it early. If they are a client do not… under any circumstances approach their employees as possible candidates.
- Floating a Candidate without permission – Sometimes… well most times… you are in a competitive situation. Your candidate may very well be working with multiple recruiters. But… repeat after me… come on repeat it… This does not mean I can send their resume all over town without their express permission. It’s bordering on identity theft. You have an obligation to protect your candidate’s personal brand… end… of… story. I hate it when I see recruiters do that. And I hate the damage it can cause to the candidate.
- Lying to your Boss – Some managers have unrealistic expectations. Some managers are arseholes. If yours is an arsehole call me… I’ll find you a new home where your manager is not an… arsehole. But that’s no excuse for lying to them. Once you lie to your boss it puts you under more billing pressure… and more often than not you will find yourself committing one of the crimes above to release the pressure… and so the cycle begins and continues. Get it?
I know there are a thousand other things we could do better, but start by eliminating the above. If you can’t… recruitment is not for you… and I say that with all the conviction I can muster, because those of you who are committing the crimes above… are ruining it for the rest of us. So please do me a favour and stop… or get the hell out of my industry… Thank you.
On another note we have freshened up the blog site thanks to the help of the good people at JXT Consulting. Check out our new corporate website too www.watsoncollard.com.au and let us know your thoughts… Cheers